Thursday, July 14, 2011

Who am I to lead these young ladies?

I have had the immense honor of leading a group of young ladies at our church.  Two in fact!  I am often in awe of how God would use me, an ordinary woman, learning along side them about our Creator.  I know for a fact that I've learned more from them than they have from me! 


 My first group, currently going into 11th grade (so hard to believe!) were mere 8th graders when we first sat on the floor together and got to know each other.  We would get roughly 30 minutes to talk about the "talk", all the while, creating a bond that has seen us through boys, school, life, death, sports, etc.  We've been on retreats together, day mission trips, sleepovers, dinners before Velocity (high school ministry), we've laughed together, we've cried together and we've prayed for each other.  They are some of the most selfless girls I've met!   Their love for others blows me away.  They have endured my TV rants:  Teen Mom, 16 and Pregnant, Jersey Shore, Secret Life of the American Teenager, just to name a few.   They put up with me when I go into "mom" mode!  We talk about how hard it is to be a Christian teenager.  They know this all too well each day when they walk into their school.  They want to do the right thing, they want to step out and be different, not to follow the crowd.  Is it easy?  Not at all.  Will they or have they made mistakes, wrong choices?  Sure some have, but the thing that I hope they remember is that as a group, we love each other unconditionally.  They know that we won't judge each other but encourage and lift each other up.  We all fall sometimes, but it helps to know who will be there to brush your knees off and hug you.  I am so thankful that I was chosen to be a small part of their lives.  I look forward to continuing to watch them grow in life!!


My other group are some amazing soon to be eighth graders!  I got them as mere 6th graders and again, the conversations we will have about life, God, etc continue to blow me away!   They are not shy in group and not afraid to give their thoughts.  I love that we offer a place where they can feel comfortable enough to say what they think and ask questions.  This is also a group of young ladies that have a heart for others.  They want to help, they go on mission trips, they attend day mission trips etc.  I love that at their age, they can see the need of thinking of others!


My soon to be 8th graders!




No comments:

Post a Comment