Monday, July 11, 2011

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Doctor


Written July 2006

I want to start out by saying that in no way do I think that breast cancer is funny but I didn’t know how else to title this and I always throw humor into things so here goes……. I’ve been getting mammograms since I was 35.  Why?  Breast Cancer runs in my family and the true wake-up call for me was having just met Stefanie Spielman and several months later she was diagnosed at age 30 with 2 small children.  Why her and why not me???  If it could happen to her, it could surely happen to me.
So every year like clockwork, I went in and did my duty and got my “you’re okay” letter in the mail several weeks later. We moved to Ann Arbor when it was getting time for the annual “visit”, immediately started horseshowing and never made the appointment.  Instead, I created Ride for the Ribbon which donates money to The Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research.  That should get some points right?  I’m busy helping get money to find a cure for goodness sakes!!  Really, that should take place of one mammogram right?  I decided that I should get my mammogram (what if the point system wasn’t working?) or better yet, I could get bonus points!!!! 
So, before we left for Traverse City, I went in, did all the usuals things, “you will get a letter in the mail in about two weeks if all is well” is what the form said.  Our first week in Traverse City I called home and checked my messages, “This is the U of M medical center, can you please call me?”  Well, I’d like to but really, I would just like my letter please……. The lady was very nice, “we need to get your previous records to compare them to the ones we took”  hmmm…..I’m no rocket scientist but this was sounding fishy to me.  I gave her the info she needed and told her that I would be happy to see the letter in the mail saying all was okay.  Yesterday I got another phone call, and it was not an invitation to lunch.  The girl was very nice:  “We got your previous films and after comparing them, we would like you to come in for some more pictures”  again, I’m no rocket scientist but I’m thinking something isn’t right here!! Then:  “We had a cancellation for tomorrow at 2:45pm, can you make that?”  Cancellation??????  Right!!!!!!  You see something and you want me in there!!!!!  Just say it!!!!
So, while wearing my “brave” face, sending Emily off to Kentucky “it will all be ok Emily, really”  I was dying inside.  I called/e-mailed very few people and asked for prayer.  Now this is where it gets funny/not so funny.  I go to my appointment, I walk into the room and there’s my breast plastered on the wall with a lump circled!!!!  What is up with that???!!!!  Wow, there’s my breast and hmmm………maybe that circled thing isn’t supposed to be there……right??  So with that fashionable gown they give you, I bare all and two pictures are taken.  Really, I’m hoping it doesn’t make it to the internet…… After waiting 10-15 minutes, which seems like an hour, the same lady calls me into a room and says, “everything is fine”  at which point I start crying.  Oh my gosh!!!!  Then she says, “I know that phone call from us is the hardest”, yea really????  Okay, I saw the image circled……..don’t even tell me prayer doesn’t work!!!
While waiting for her to call me, I was trying to read a magazine like the other two women in the room.  All the while thinking, “Isn’t it ironic that I started Ride for the Ribbon and now the whole Breast Cancer thing will be about me as well?”  I know that my favorite saying is “It’s all about ME!” but really, not this…….. So, needless to say, this was a huge eye opener for me.  Life is too short and while I put humor into this very scary ordeal, don’t forget to get your mammogram!   

No comments:

Post a Comment