Monday, July 11, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad

Happy Birthday Dad.
Today my dad would be 67 years old.  So hard to believe it’s been 13 years since he passed away.  I would like to think that he is up in heaven chasing women and out on a boat wearing sunglasses with a huge smile on his face!!
 He was 54 when he died, far too young.  His lifestyle caught up with him.  His demon (the bottle) got the better of him.  I get angry at times because he missed out on seeing his granddaughters grow up.  Emily was 5, Sarah 19 mos and Lizzie 2 weeks.  I have pictures of him with Emily, oh how he loved that girl!  Sarah made him laugh even in the short time she was around him.  I took Lizzie as a newborn in her carrier to the hospital to see him.  I know he was proud even as he was dying.  I remember being so angry that he chose this path but also knew that the path was bigger and stronger than him.
 I wish he could see the girls and how they’ve grown into beautiful young ladies and see the accomplishments they’ve done so far.  I know that his big wonderful smile would never leave his face!
I went through a file this morning of some of his papers, birth certificate, baby book, army info and finally his death certificate.  When I looked at it I noticed my signature on it.  I’m certain I was numb because I don’t remember signing it but it makes me sad to see my signature on my dad’s death certificate.
As I was getting ready this morning I asked God to tell my dad happy birthday and that I love him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment