Monday, July 11, 2011

A Funny Thing Happned - Update

When I decided to start blogging, I found this “A funny thing happened” email that I had sent to family and friends and felt that it was important to share.  The thing that was so hard to believe was that it was 4 years ago!  I’d like to fill you in on what has happened since then.  Through our Ride for the Ribbon, and the many people that help support it, we’ve helped to raise money for Breast Cancer Research.  To date, Stefanie’s fund has raised over $7million dollars!
I have to tell you the impact that Stefanie Spielman had on my life.  I met Stefanie when we moved to Columbus, Ohio in 1997.  Stefanie and I both joined a women’s group that raised money for the local Children’s Hospital.  Shortly after, (in 1998) Stefanie was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  For all the information, you can go to http://cancer.osu.edu/waystogive/about/funds/spielman/Pages/index.aspx
and please watch the video that was shown at this past luncheon.  Many of you may know Chris Spielman who played for Ohio State and then went on to play for the Detroit Lions.  Chris retired after Stefanie was diagnosed.  He said, “What kind of husband would I be if I didn’t stick to my vows, in sickness and in health?”  He knew the importance of family and commitment.  Chris and Stefanie went on to establish The Stefanie Spielman Fund because Stefanie knew that they shouldn’t keep this quiet, they had a mission to accomplish.  Stefanie and Chris went on to have 2 more children during this fight.  Their four children are so amazing.  Maddie, their oldest who just turned 16 rides horses and we were at the same barn so we became family friends.  After Stefanie was diagnosed, I, along with my friend Kathy Brown started Ride for the Ribbon.  Horse shows hold a class and all or a portion of the proceeds go to Stefanie’s fund.
I have to tell you that the Spielman family has such an amazing relationship with God.  Their faith is what has carried them through this ordeal.  Stefanie would say, “I’m not afraid to die because I know where I am going.”  And she used this to share her faith with others.  This is a family that you look at and you know that their faith is so incredibly important.  Stefanie told her children, “Don’t use my death as an excuse to  keep you from doing things, let it push you to do great  things”  Their family and their faith in God always inspired me and I would look at Stefanie with such admiration, courage, hope and I have to tell you that my prayer to God was, “please let Stefanie be a miracle, heal her God and let people know what you can do.”  In the end, Stefanie was His and she was put here on earth to do many things.  And she did.  She was such an example of faith.  When Emily was quite young, she said to me, “Mom, I think Mrs. Spielman is an angel put here on earth for us to learn from.”  She was so right.  My dear friend passed away on November 20, 2009.  Eric and I were in Mexico celebrating our 20 yr anniversary when my friend Kathy sent me an email letting me know Stef had passed.  I cannot tell you the sadness I felt on many levels.  Stefanie was such a dear friend and such an example of what a mother, a wife and a follower of God should be and I will forever miss her.  When Eric and I were flying home from Mexico and I was on the plane praying for Stef, I heard the words: “Job well done my faithful servant, job well done”  and I knew that she was right where she should be which was right beside God and she was completely healed and no longer in pain.  How can one not rejoice that?!  I went to her funeral in Columbus, which was truly a celebration of her life.  That is a family that completely trusts God and knows that Stefanie is in such a better place.  I am in awe of this family and their faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment