Sunday, August 24, 2014

Love comes in many forms....

When Lizzie was in 4th grade, that Christmas she said to me, "Mom, I need to buy a Christmas gift for my friend Alex." Alex was her friend from church. So we went to the mall and purchased a gift for Alex. The next year rolls around, and at Christmas Lizzie again says, "Mom, I need to buy a gift for my friend Alex" So we go to the mall and buy this child a gift, who I've never met.... When 6th grade rolls around and Lizzie says, "Mom, I need to buy my friend Alex a Christmas gift", I think to myself, "I should probably meet Alex"!!  I met this freckle faced little girl who just lit up the room when she spoke and smiled! Alex became such a regular part of our family and at times it was hard to know that she wasn't really one of ours! Lizzie has been just as much a part of the Graham family as Alex is a van der Walde! Lizzie has been on vacation with Alex and the two have been to countless concerts and sporting events! 
Somewhere in Middle School


These two have been through the most awkward phases together. They've loved and they've fought. But in the end, they've always been there for each other. 



I can't imagine these two not remaining friends for life.  They will most likely drift, as most friendships do, but I can see them always returning to each other. The safe one.



But I will admit that the most emotion part for me was tonight.  When I arrived at Alex's home for dinner, the eve of her leaving for college.  Eric and I arrive, say our hello's and give out my hugs.  The next thing I know is Alex presenting me with a framed photo of she and I from her Graduation party. 

 I'm holding a sign that reads "2nd Mom".  I start to cry.  I hear Lizzie say, "See I told you she would cry" and then  hear Alex's mom say, "Alex, I told you not to give that to her until the end!"  The words I wanted to speak but knew that I would cry like a baby.... what I wanted to say but couldn't:

"I am so incredibly proud of you Alex.  I'm so proud of the person you are.  I love your heart, your smile, your dedication, your flaws, your mistakes, your accomplishments, the mistakes you will make, the things I know you will accomplish and above all else, I adore the moments spent with you.  I've loved watching you grow into the young woman you are and look forward to watching you mature and grow even more.  I love you like one of my own and I would jump in front of a moving vehicle for you!  Enjoy this next chapter of your life.  Remember that you will have good times and you will have hard times.  You will be on top of the world and you will fall hard.  Remember those that are there to pick you up and the love they have for you! Embrace the moments and always stop to remember them. Cherish the memories and above all else, know that you are loved!" 





1 comment:

  1. Hello Sharon van der Walde. I am so glad to know you through your profile on the blogger and also I am glad to stop by your blog "Journey of Motherhood" and the post on it "Love comes in many Forms". How true it is. Since your interest is in Missions trip I have an opportunity for you Eric and your daughters to come to Mumbai India on a short term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai amongst poorest of poor. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and a the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healign to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come on a short term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai amongst poorest of poor. We would love to have you come with your daughters during your daughters vaction time may be Christmas vacation for a short term missions trip. I am sure you as well as your daughters will have a life changing experience. I was recently in States and would have been so glad to visit your place. My email id is< dhwankhede@gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete